Soild Oak

Had to be at work early today, because of the unfortunate car accident weeks ago, was in the middle of a rash rain storm. Flashing back that’s how I got here before the sun today for this early morning bang.



Turning the corner on Pittsboro at the far end of campus, just before Temple Creek Road, this woman had gotten stuck in what she thought was a small puddle. Hitting the gas with all her might, tires spinning at some 50 mph, she slammed into the back left side of my small dark blue Audi, taking off the more than the back bumper. Well that day was slow and easy other that the horrific start, I had no one waiting for me it had been a slow week or two at the funeral home. My misfortune continued as I learned that my car was going to take close to a month to fix, interknit parts that needed to be ordered no one in American seem to have and the scheduling of fixing that dam thing dragged on for weeks. This of course was putting a damper wrinkle in mood each day and nightly plans. Yeah I got a rental and the insurance dude that came out to the house did me good, yeah real good, but didn’t matter cause this shitty car I had to drive was cramming my style. And every time I heard from the insurance guy he was just tryin to stop by. So with my on to the next on attitude I had to stop taking rentals if it wasn’t necessary, and with my job that’s so hard to gage. So I took the train in a time or two and for a while it was very interesting, (I was slumming it) and the boys would catch my eye a time or two it was a bit dangerous. One day a few seem like they were following me and might have been but it also could have been my imagination working over time, cause when the saw me walk into the funeral home everything seem to stop, like a clock watch at a track meet. Some people have such a strong feeling for the dead and wont even come near the place, many times when I’m outside working to keep the front looking good, cleaning the side walk or planting some new flowers, there are time when people just rather cross the street. Its just four short blocks from the train; at this cross section of town the street divides like a fork in the road. The business sat right on the corner of Delaware and Conway, the short block which lead down the street to a nice well manicured part of town. To the far side was Memorial Parkway, the beginning of it here on the north side which ran straight thru town and led you to the college campus on the other end. So of course along this very long stretch of road many students, interns and soon to be doctors would find a nice apartment home for the college years. We would often have to deal with the trash let from those who parked along Delaware during the night, cause just about two blocks down Memorial was what they called 7th inning stretch, just pass the large baseball fields and open park, was a row of pubs and bars. It was noting to find cans and greasy hamburger wrappers along the sidewalk from the diner at one corner to my front door. No more train and never the city bus, it was my plan to borrow my sisters car during the week cause she would close to never use it. A short trip away on the bus and she loved it, this worked out best and when she would need me it was just a phone call. For now I was back in business, the rest I had to give to manhunt was now over and the vacation sign removed, I had felt like a prisoner for weeks and no I was not in Oz. Checking thru my mail, hittin up sum’ol favs, the tires on the sunbird where ready to burn the pavement. I sat this first night of freedom waiting for the right one to starch my itch, for weeks things had been so low and my body in need of exercise. My block neighbor stopped over as I was going thru the trash, and watched me running back and forth as we tuned into our favorite show “The beautiful people” this week was about how I paid for sex. Which of course lead to the conversation and the omissions, I state that I never had and never will but Jayme took the high road a told a little tale paying so swimmer built college kids Verizon bill than to the small beat trail between shaggy’s and bon chow burger to blow him during his break from the fries station. It was so sick and yet all to believable, as we laughed it all away I told him to never have to do this again, I would be happy to share some of my many as the bell rings to my email over and again… but not the right choice yet. When the call came we where into a movie and for a change Jayme want running my ear in the ground, so he watched as I went thru my routine and prepared for what I thought was going to be a good poke, he stayed to finish the movie and I was out the door only to return in less then 40mins – it took longer to find the right shoe. As Jayme was washing the dishes I came thru the door… “What a fuckin disaster” Jayme was asking what happen an had a bit of a smile to his sarcasm but I was have way through my story and back at my desk for round two. Maybe the next man can get it right, so tied of the boy showing up at the door nothing like the pic and worst he got his the bottom of his feet to Jesus before I get my pants off. A two day dry spell when I was with Jayme and we caught a bit at shaggy when I was getting out of work this late night. The campus crowd had gone silent as we learned of the big typhoon in Sri Lanka, a famous author and favorite university professor was in the country and feared dead. It would be a week long struggle to finally get the body back to the US, and just as hard for me to catch fire again. Man I was on edge and the work load was type crazy trying to deal with this high profile funeral knowing that media would soon be camped at the door step. Service plans were laid and most would take place at the big chapel on campus, professor Donaldson was the dean of literature plus the poet laureate for the state. Although he was coming in late Thursday night I knew we could have him ready for viewing the next day for 2pm and 6pm service with the public outreach that the chapel during the early morning and funeral Saturday at 3 in the afternoon again on campus, then his family will fly his to upstate New York for a private burial. So with everything in place accept for my hormones, after a sleep deprived night my sister rings the phone, she just got the call Amanda had the baby so she will have to go to the other location and needed to use the car. At 5:30 she had me on the phone telling me she will be ready and waiting for me at 7. Well I never see this time of day unless it was a trifecta and I’m just rolling in for a disco nap and off to work, she had me standing on the side of the funeral home at 7:07am. What was I to do, for mid week the sidewalk was ok, but could use a good washing and I was there early. On the side of Conway Street I opened the garage door to find my tools; there was the removal wagon back and the shipping container inside, on the left to the basement a shinny solid oak casket still with its bumpers and shipment labels. Still with the haze of a sleepless night I had forgotten about the pick up at the airport for the Professor. As I’m there with my back to the street a car moves down the road kind of slowly, as I turn to began to power wash the sidewalk I can see the black car in the distant that passed. Not 10 mins later did Ricardo coming walking around the corner, (lookie,lookie) this was the new kid to the block but he moved away with some suppose to be boyfriend bout 2 years ago. He was the jump off, I would do it every now and then, it was always a good workout. By now I cleaned the front and was back by the gate, he gave me some song and dance about being up early for summer school, yeah but you teach in the middle school I said. Awe I’m in for the summer there was a job available so I jumped on it, cause I can use the extra for vacation money. He was at the elementary school just down the block said he has been in the neighborhood for weeks now, he didn’t see my car so assumed that I didn’t work here anymore. He was keeping pace with me as I moved around, then stepped inside, what time is school starting cause still is bright and early in the morning. So he gives me that old familiar look and says that we have time, like forty minutes or so, no one here with you right? I hit the bottom to close the door and he was down on his keens, mumbling about what he had been missing, face smacked into my parted pants. His sweat and saliva was dripping down the inside of my thigh when I thought I had given him enough, so now I was gona bang the hello out of the little Spanish boy to relive all my aggression. Big problem I had no car, so all my supplies where in some dirty chop shop and I needed them here, a worried look on my face and he says dude I don’t have condoms cant keep them in the car you know Sean checks up on me. I went to the removal van thinking just maybe there was a hold out, we where between the van and the casket when he cant get enough and go’s down again, reaching for an empty box I come up empty. I race up the back stairs to my office flipping over things to find that one golden coin, back down stairs he was at the door ready to leave, I pulled him back to the van a began my assault. Placing my hand hard on his neck bright skin turning red with my grasp, his belt buckle dragging the concert floor to the motion, we had no space at the back of the van, but I pulled his leg higher to anchor the back bumper. His cheap black shoe causing him to slip, one too many time, so now I have to brace him. When I stop: please don’t take it out; please “you know you fuck me better than Sean” please. I was shocked to the announcement, another week gone by and yet another brain shocking admission…really? There at the corner of the van wedged between the casket I knew his small arms of muscle could reach the back wall and hold on. I though so but lost my train of consciousness as I pushed into him hard and harder, slapping his ass to beet red he cried for me not to stop, I thought his face was in the concert floor cause the sound seem to echo upward. The casket began to move but it wasn’t a problem the bumpers were still in place, the more I hit him the more it moved and the unforgiving reknok from the inside as if something was shake’n around. I came hard and fast to end this show cause by now it was getting late and anyone walking by the train no doubt could hear his triad and my verbal assault. Throwing him some handi wipes I got him out of there quick, laughing and gratefully empty I turned to see what I had done, that’s when I finally saw the note by the latch on the casket.



Yo, bitch my Lil’Buttercup
Dr. Donladson is in the box a ready for your
inspection. Mary’s in the van and ready for the
drive to the oven. Ohh I’m sick, Brian in at 8.





That when I heard a door shut in the chapel, I’m still wet, smelly and wrinkled from my escapade, I unlock the golden maple brown casket first, and yes Mr. Donaldson was inside. He looked like I felt after weeks of waiting the life had been sucked out of me. Fuck there was no time and yet time needed to be on my side, I was looking for the condom, looking for any smudges, cleaning hand prints of the back door. This kid is always late why he picks today to do right? Coming thru the door at 7:55 the smell in the back was thick of sweat. Wow you’re on time! Good thing, change in plans every things done here so put Dr. Donaldson up front main chapel for family id, then drop off this one in Greenvale. I race up stairs for a shower and dress for the day. When I returned Brian had not left, he was buffing the casket; he said there was something that looked like a face imprint just under the name plate.








© C Cory August 2010










Another CC orignal, Dropp'n on U like Raindrops.

Comments

Popular Posts